Global Mindset. Local Instinct.
Michael K. Chong, Esq. has extensive legal experience and represents individuals, corporations and foreign governments. Mr. Chong has represented clients throughout the United States and overseas on complex legal matters. Mr. Chong serves as general counsel for several privately held corporations. His practice focuses on handling diverse legal matters including litigation, compliance, transactions, contracts, real estate, and employment law matters. Mr. Chong has extensive litigation experience, and has successfully tried cases in both state and federal courts, and has argued matters before state and federal appellate courts. Mr. Chong's extensive legal experience includes working in the legal department of International Paper Co. (NYSE: IP), a Fortune 100 company, and for an international law firm. His public service includes working in the Office of the Senior Staff Counsel at the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, serving in the Appellate Section of a state prosecutor's office, and serving as a Judicial Law Clerk for a State Superior Court Judge. Mr. Chong is a Certified Court Mediator, and has mediated diverse legal matters. Mr. Chong completed his concentration in mediation/arbitration (ADR), negotiation and international dispute resolution at Harvard Law School.
- Compliance & Investigations
- Corporate/M&A Practice
- Greater China Practice
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: Vice President & Co-Chair Moot Court Honor Board
- Honors: Moot Court Champion – First Place
- Major: International Law
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Major: Negotiation/Mediation
- Major: Arbitration/ADR
- Major: International dispute resolution
- University of Delaware
- BA, International Relations
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- International Bar Association
- Korean American Bar Association
- Congressional Fellow to the Vice Speaker of the National Assembly of the Republic of South Korea
- Congressional Award from the United States Congress
- President of the Korean-American Bar Association of New Jersey
- Served on the Executive Board and as Chairman, MIPS NJSBA
- Served on the Board of the KCC organization
- Leaders in Law" Award, NJBiz, 2023
- Successfully obtained a unanimous jury verdict for the Plaintiff in a commercial litigation lawsuit involving a dispute between the sellers of a corporation and the purchasers. The claims involved the transfer of assets and payments pursuant to a multi-tiered financing agreement. The trial lasted two weeks, and at the conclusion of the trial the jury voted unanimously in favor of Plaintiff.
- Represented a multi brand auto group in a multimillion dollar acquisition of a commercial property site in the Greater New York area for dealership operations.
- Successfully represented an energy/fuel corporation in a collective class action lawsuit in federal court. The Plaintiffs had asserted diverse employment law claims against the corporation and management. After approximately two years of litigation and substantive motions, obtained a settlement of all claims and dismissal with prejudice.
- Successfully represented a foreign government and its agency, in negotiating and completing an advertising media purchase agreement to support their foreign relations and international business development initiatives in the United States.
- Successfully represented a New York based transportation corporation in a class action lawsuit in federal court, where Plaintiffs were seeking multi-million dollar damages and penalties. The Plaintiffs were employees of the transportation corporation and asserted multiple employment law claims. After over one year of litigation and then mediation, the case was dismissed with prejudice.
- Successfully represented a foreign government and its agency, in contract negotiations with vendors based in the United States for a multimillion dollar project and event promoting cultural exchange and international business development initiatives in the United States.
- Successfully represented an internet logistics corporation based in Texas in a class action lawsuit in federal court. The representative Plaintiff had asserted diverse disability law claims against the corporation. After extensive litigation, the lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice.
- Successfully represented a Canadian based transportation corporation in a lawsuit filed in federal court. The Plaintiff had asserted numerous employment law claims against the corporation and management. After extensive litigation, the lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice.