Corporate M&A, Emerging Growth & Technology, and Wealth Preservation & Estate Planning Advisory
Ian Liao is a partner with YK Law LLP and heads up its Corporate/M&A Practice. He is also a counsel with Beijing Yingke Law Firm, a leading law firm in China. Mr. Liao is a corporate lawyer with substantial experience in M&A, venture capital, private equity, technology and other corporate transactions. He has advised many venture capital funds and high-tech companies (including start-up and pre-IPO companies) in investment and fundraising transactions. Mr. Liao has also represented leading multinational companies in complex mergers, asset acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and equity purchase transactions involving various industry sectors (including manufacturing, television and media, special materials, medical devices and internet/e-commerce). He often works with the management teams of leading multinational companies on tech and commercial matters involving their US and overseas operations; as well as advising them on cross-border technology licensing and intellectual property enforcement matters.
Mr. Liao has advised clients on cross-border transactions involving the Greater China region since 1998 and continues to do so today. In particular, he has had extensive experience in transactions between China and the U.S. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Liao was a partner at two global law firms where he was based in their Shanghai and Beijing offices. He also worked in Taiwan as a lawyer for eight years. Mr. Liao was a summer extern for the Federal District Court of Hawaii.
Mr. Liao also heads up the firm's Emerging Growth & Technology and Wealth Preservation & Estate Planning Advisory Practices.
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. - 1997
- Baylor University
- B.B.A. - 1994
- California State Bar Association
- US Recruitment Services Company – advised the company on its acquisition of 100% of a US company
- US SaaS Company – advised the company in connection with a proposed merger with a strategic acquirer
- Hong Kong Recruitment Company – advised the company on its proposed acquisition of a Singapore company
- Chinese Recruitment Company – advised the company on an investment by Morgan Stanley affiliated fund and a related buyout of an existing institutional investor
- Wandoujia – advised the Android app company on the sale of its China wholly owned subsidiary (together with domestic VIE company) to an affiliate of Alibaba.
- US Technology Company – advised the company on the sale of company to Baidu (Hong Kong) Limited (together with domestic VIE company)
- Taiwan Optical Bonding Company – advised the company’s majority shareholder on the sale of 100% of the company to a French public company for cash and stock
- Singapore Space Services Company – advised the founder on technology licensing structure in connection with “Cube Sat” technology
- UTAC – advised the company on licensing agreement relating to acquisition
- US Software Company – advised the company on license of software to a Chinese licensee and related software (code) registration
- Engineering Arresting Systems – advised the company on the license of its technology and knowhow to its joint venture company in China
- Taiwan Optical Bonding Company – advised the management about propose sale of the parent company (a public company) and impact on the shares held by the management
- Taiwan Display Technology Company – advised the company on restructuring of receivables and assignment of debt
- Electronic Arts – advised the company on general corporate matter involving its China subsidiary, including matters relating to employment and product regulations
- Chinese Crypto Currency Mining Equipment Manufacturer – advised the company on proposed formation of a joint lab and strategic relationship with AMD
- Taiwanese e-commerce company – advised the company on its response to USTR “Notorious Markets List” inquiry
- Chinese Commodities Company– advised the company on CFTC investigation; assist the company with responding to inquiry from Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- Mandarin Chinese
Listen Now: YK Law partner Ian Liao recently interviewed on Latte With a Lawyer
Ian Liao, Partner, Chair of Corporate/M&A at YK Law: Latte with a Lawyer Episode 115 Nov 2022·Latte With a Lawyer Follow
Legal Technology Trends That Will Define 2022
The technology sector is continuing to rapidly evolve, with the metaverse, NFTs, the blockchain and a host of other advancements sweeping industry discussions in the last year. The legal industry is deeply connected to tech advancements and as a result is also adapting to the “new normal”. In keeping with this, firms that are able to understand and expertly advise…
U.S. SEC Warns of Investment Risks Involving Variable Interest Entity Structure
September 22, 2021 The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) issued an alert to investors this week warning about potential risks in investing in U.S.-listed companies that have contracts with but no control over operating entities in China. This arrangement is commonly known as a variable interest entity (VIE) structure under which the U.S.-listed company’s wholly owned subsidiary in China…