Entertainment & Media
Monica Trombley is Of Counsel to YK Law. Her background is rather unique as entertainment lawyer, creative professional (specifically actress, singer, writer, model, blogger and podcast host) and former film production company executive. A first generation college graduate and a first generation lawyer, Monica has a long history of trailblazing, overcoming adversity and fighting against the odds such as overcoming age discrimination to get her first retail job at 15.5 years old and moving to NYC at 26 in fulfillment of her lifelong dream to live there despite no family, friend, trusts or preexisting business contacts at her disposal. She also got a tubal ligation at 26 despite being told otherwise by "well meaning" doctors and had her story published in Slate.com's "XX Factor" blog as well as Look magazine in the UK. Monica continues to live diversity as a native of North Carolina from a conservative Christian household who came this close to being an Air Force brat and never quite fit in anywhere but managed to find acceptance in some of the most unlikely places.
Monica was made a partner in One Way or Another Productions LLC 2 weeks after getting admitted to the NY bar. She started as the CEO's Executive Assistant and simultaneously interned with Dorothy Palmer, a veteran talent and literary agent. At the same time, Monica was given creative opportunities and opted to further develop her creative talent with formal NYC training in acting, hosting and voice over. She subsequently got an opportunity to walk in fashion shows and developed a portfolio as a model, created a "humorous" blog at the suggestion of a PR agent who said she should be on TV and created an equally humorous podcast at the suggestion of a fashion industry contact.
A long time cat whisperer, Monica recently became a cat mom to 2 tabby kittens named Coral and Tsumani. She's also a super auntie to 2 nieces and 2 nephews who adore her. In short, Monica is a creative type who just happens to be a lawyer.
- Entertainment & Media
- New York, 2007
- Connecticut, 2007
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2016
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2016
- Your Life at 10 – Board of Directors
- New York County Lawyers Association – Past member & chair of Entertainment and Media for the eMIPS committee
- Alpha Sigma Tau – Founding member of Delta Pi chapter
- To NOT Have Children: Being Childfree By Choice, Ms. JD, June 24, 2012
- Self-Segregation & Why That’s a Bad Thing, The Girl’s Guide to Law School, February 3, 2012
- Served as Partner, Production Executive and In-House Counsel of a black and woman owned independent film production company for 9 years
- Served as General Counsel of a film production company that focused on documentaries and social justice causes
- Representing a music industry investor in negotiating and implementing a music company investor agreement
- Representing numerous musicians in licensing negotiations, distribution agreements, cease and desist letters, recording contract negotiations and trademark registration
- Representing a filmmaker creating a documentary on a prolific and controversial local artist
Classes & Seminars
- “The Gorgeous Ginger Lawyer” podcast – ongoing
- “The Angry Redheaded Lawyer” blog – ongoing