Global Mindset. Local Instinct.
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Joseph Perl is an attorney with extensive experience representing clients in cases involving debtor and creditor disputes, judgment enforcement, commercial foreclosures, and general civil litigation. For over ten years he has helped clients recover funds owed to them through methods including motions for prejudgment asset freezes, actions to reach and apply funds owed to the defendant, actions to recover fraudulently conveyed property, post judgment sheriff's sales, and alternative forms of dispute resolution such as mediation. Mr. Perl enjoys advising clients and helping them come up with the best strategy to deal with their legal issue at hand.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 2010
- Honors: magna cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Mass Lawyers Weekly, January 17, 2022: An article featuring a case which Mr. Perl won an appeal for clients involving the enforcement of an out of state judgment.
- Enforcement of Out of State Judgment: Successfully handled an appeal for two plaintiffs after collecting more than $200,000.00 from a trustee defendant who embezzled all of their funds for her own use. The case was the first case in Massachusetts interpreting the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Money Judgments Act.
- Minority Shareholder Suit: Filed a law suit for a plaintiff/minority shareholder against a corporation and its officers for breach of fiduciary duties including failure to share profits. The case settled for over 1 million dollars;
- Reach and Apply Lawsuit: Represented a plaintiff, who held judgment against a Defendant that had been unpaid for approximately five years. Attorney Perl subpoenaed the defendant’s prior employer and discovered that the defendant was entitled to a large future income stream from the employer. The Defendant, in an attempt to conceal the payments, fraudulently transferred the right to payments to a relative. On behalf of client, Attorney Perl got a court order to reach and apply more than 20% of each of the monthly payments towards the plaintiff’s judgment.
- Mortgage Priority Lawsuit: Attorney Perl represented Creditor, who held a second mortgage on property in Massachusetts, in a law suit to declare priority of the Creditor’s mortgage over other mortgages on the property. The first mortgagor, after foreclosing on the property, received a surplus in funds that was available for junior mortgagees. After filing a motion for summary judgment, Creditor’s mortgage was declared as having priority of the mortgages of 6 other creditors, and Creditor was paid the surplus funds.
- Commercial Foreclosure: Represented Creditor in all aspects of a foreclosure on commercial property in Massachusetts. Creditor, who held the first mortgage on the property, was the highest of among approximately 20 bidders at the foreclosure sale, and eventually sold the property for over $6.2 million.